|Vinyl & Linoleum Floor
Vinyl floors are made from synthetic petrochemicals while linoleum is made of natural ingredients. The two however, are used interchangeably to create different patterns and prints. Vinyl and Linoleum floors can stay new-looking for a very long time with regular maintenance. They are durable and easy to maintain.
To keep dirt and sand from being tracked over the floor you should use a lace non-staining, walk-off mat or rug at the entrance of every doorway of the room. It’s suggested that you do not use any type of rubber back rugs or mats since over time they can damage and possibly discolor the floor.
Maintaining vinyl flooring is easy. Some manufacturers state that you do not need to give your floor a protective coating or even a wax but as with any floor type they are always susceptible to damage due to normal traffic.
General Guidelines to Keep Your Vinyl & Linoleum Flooring in Great Shape
Keeping your floors looking great is vital since flooring is one of the most expensive and time consuming aspects of home improvement. Simple steps can prolong the life of your floor, regardless of the type you may have. Here are some tricks that will keep your vinyl & linoleum floor looking new:
- Close curtains and blinds- UV rays from sunlight can fade colors on floor and sometimes cause discoloration
- Place floor protectors under furniture
- Clean, wipe or blot spills immediately to help prevent stains.
- Place doormats at every door- this helps to trap dirt at the doorway instead of transferring it to the floor inside the home. The coco mat, featured on qvc, traps all types of particles such as dust, mud, snow and can be used for the front door, patio or even the garage.
- Take care when moving heavy objects like furniture and equipment- utilize furniture coaters to transport heavy objects across floors.
- Dust and vacuum floors regularly to maximize beauty and decrease buildup of dust.
- Exercise caution when using bleaches, tile cleaners, mildew removers, oven cleaners, drain openers and plant food as these contain strong chemicals that can discolor floors.
- Always follow your manufacturer’s guidelines on products that are safe for your flooring.
- Use only a wand attachment when vacuuming vinyl & linoleums
- Never wax or polish vinyl & linoleum flooring
- Never use a steel wool, scouring pad or abrasives as these may scratch the floor.
- Soap based detergents will leave a dull film on vinyl & linoleum floors