Slate tiles come in a variety of textures, tones, shapes sizes and colors. This is as a result of its makeup which often varies. It is a natural stone product mostly formed in riverbeds and is sourced from all over the world. The stone is metamorphic and is made up of quartz, mica, calcite, chlorite and other types of rock. These features contribute to its durability and high tolerance to high traffic. This floor type is extremely beautiful, however, it can sometimes take a lot of diligence to keep it in great shape making it high to maintain.
To eliminate potential scratches and dirt buildup, slate floors will need to be cleaned on a regular basis. The natural look of Slate flooring can be easily destroyed by bleaches and acids. Dirt, mildew and mold can also grow inside the pores of the grout causing staining and odors. Products like Rejuvenate are designed for all types of slate flooring. Rejuvenate© is also great for sealing grout. This will keep your Slate flooring in tip-top shape.
General Guidelines to Keep Your Slate Flooring in Great Shape
Keeping your floors looking great is vital since flooring is one of the most expensive and time consuming aspects of home improvement. Simple steps can prolong the life of your floor, regardless of the type you may have. Here are some tricks that will keep your slate flooring looking new:
- Close curtains and blinds- UV rays from sunlight can fade colors on floor and sometimes cause discoloration
- Place floor protectors under furniture
- Clean, wipe or blot spills immediately to help prevent stains.
- Place doormats at every door- this helps to trap dirt at the doorway instead of transferring it to the floor. (The Floor mats featured at ForLifeProducts.com are perfect for this!)
- Take care when moving heavy objects like furniture and equipment- utilize furniture coasters to transport heavy objects across floors.
- Take care when moving heavy objects like furniture and equipment- utilize furniture coaters to transport heavy objects across floors.
- Dust and vacuum floors regularly to maximize beauty and decrease buildup of debris.
- Exercise caution when using bleaches, tile cleaners, mildew removers, oven cleaners, drain openers and plant food as these contain strong chemicals that can discolor floors.
- Always follow your manufacturer’s guidelines on products that are safe for your flooring.
- Treat grout with a sealer to simplify cleaning.
- Vacuum slate tiles without a beater bar and use a microfiber mop which is gentle on the floor to prevent scratching.
- Never use steel wool, scouring powder or any other strong abrasive on a slate tile. This could leave permanent scratches on the surface.