Laminate floors bare a similar resemblance to hardwood floors but no solid wood is used in its construction. It consists of several materials bonded together under high amounts of pressure. Materials often include a plywood or fiberboard core with a high resolution photographic plastic covering the top layer.
Having laminate flooring has its advantages. It will last for a very long time with minimal effort and care. Many warranties for laminate flooring can be up to 25 years for stains, wear and even fading. Simple, everyday cleaning will keep laminate flooring in great condition. And this includes vacuuming, mopping and using a wet cloth to clean the surface.
Laminate flooring is low maintenance and keeping its beauty is fairly simple. There are however a few common mistakes to avoid when cleaning laminate flooring. These include avoiding soap-based detergents and abrasive cleaners. Never use Steel Wool to clean laminate flooring. Waxing, polishing and steam cleaning may also damage laminate flooring.
General Guidelines to Keep Your Laminate Flooring in Great Shape
Keeping your floors looking great is vital since flooring is one of the most expensive and time consuming aspects of home improvement. Simple steps can prolong the life of your floor, regardless of the type you may have. Here are some tricks that will keep your laminate floor looking new:
- Close curtains and blinds — UV rays from sunlight can fade colors on floor and cause discoloration
- Place floor protectors under furniture
- Clean, wipe or blot spills immediately to help prevent stains.
- Place doormats at every door — this helps to trap dirt at the doorway instead of tracking inside the home. The coco mat, featured on QVC, traps all types of particles such as dust, mud, snow and can be used for the front door, patio or even the garage.
- Take care when moving heavy objects like furniture and equipment — utilize furniture coaters to transport heavy objects across floors.
- Dust and vacuum floors regularly to maximize beauty
- Exercise caution when using bleaches, tile cleaners, mildew removers, oven cleaners, drain openers and plant food, as these contain strong chemicals that can discolor floors.
- Always follow your manufacturer’s guidelines on products that are safe for your flooring.
- Use only a wand attachment when vacuuming laminates
- Never wax or polish laminate flooring
- Never use a steel wool, scouring pad or abrasives as these may scratch the floor.
- Soap based detergents will leave a dull film on laminate floors.