|African Pecan Wood Floor
African Pecan is very strong with a fine grain to the surface. The workability of this hardwood can be difficult as it causes moderate to severe dulling on cutting surfaces and it does not respond well to nailing. It is coveted for its unique look and is most often used for decorative purposes.
It requires some effort to obtain a smooth finish and it stains easily so take precautions with this material. Its principal uses include flooring, furniture, and veneer.
How is your hardwood floor supposed to look?
Appearance: African pecan wood ranges in color from dark-brown to reddish-brown.
Grain: Straight/fine Grain.
Properties: African Pecan wood is considered a lifetime value for its strength, and toughness.
General Guidelines to Keep Your Hardwood Flooring in Great Shape
These simple steps can prolong the life and beauty of your hardwood floor regardless of the specific type of wood you may have.
- Close curtains and blinds- UV rays from sunlight can fade colors and cause discoloration.
- Use protectors under furniture bases that can scratch or mar the surface.
- Clean, wipe or blot spills immediately to help prevent stains.
- Place doormats at every door- this helps to trap dirt at the doorway instead of transferring it to the floor. (The Floor mats featured at ForLifeProducts.com are perfect for this!)
- Take care when moving heavy objects like furniture and equipment- utilize furniture coasters to transport heavy objects across floors.
- Dust and vacuum floors regularly to maximize beauty and decrease buildup.
- Exercise caution when using bleaches, mildew removers, oven cleaners, drain openers and plant food as these contain strong chemicals that can damage or discolor floors.
- Always follow your manufacturer’s guidelines on products and use only those that are safe for your hardwood floor type.
- Rearrange area rugs occasionally as they block sunlight causing a discolored area to develop under the rug.
- Avoid exposure to water.
- Maintain normal humidity of 40-60% throughout all seasons of the year to reduce the natural expansion and contraction process typically found in hardwoods. Humidity levels can be maintained with air conditioners, humidifiers, de-humidifiers or with a heating system.
- Keep pets nails trimmed and filed and take care with stiletto style heels to minimize scratches.
- Never clean hardwood floors with steel wools or scouring powders as these can cause damage.